Client Pains: Cengage Learning needed a subject matter expert and instructional designer to create content for a new office information management bachelor degree program for one of their clients. The college staff wanted to have an industry professional/instructional designer with deep experience in the latest technology, virtual office management, and general office trends. Also, they wanted to ensure that the technical content was strong enough to prepare the students to take the exams for the Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Certification. Lastly, they needed the program content to be flexible enough to be delivered in classroom and online formats.
Our Value-Based Solution: We worked virtually with Cengage and the client over a 3-year period to complete 11 bachelor degree courses based on the approved syllabi and coursebooks. Some of the course topics included: virtual communication management, Internet business, office technology, social media, and Web design. We completed all of the following:
- Selected appropriate readings and created the detailed, weekly class schedule
- Developed learning objectives
- Designed activities and projects with real-world applicability that could be delivered in-person or through distance learning
- Created instructor guides and student handouts
- Selected appropriate assessment questions from the software testbanks on Word®, PowerPoint®, Excel®, Outlook®, and Access®
Currently, the college is delivering the program in classroom and online formats.